Friday, August 18, 2017

Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays #21: The Sea King's Daughter



Hey there!  Welcome to "Fairy Tale and Folktale Fridays," a new feature on my blog where I discuss about some fairy tales and folktales I have read throughout the years. 



The Sea King's Daughter





 


Type: Folktale

Country of Origin: Russia

Main Character Hero or Heroine: Hero

Recommend?: Yes! 




Once upon a time in the city of Novgorod the Great in Russia, there lived a poor musician named Sadko who would constantly play his beloved music instrument the twelve string gusli during parties that he was invited to.  One day however, Sadko decided to get himself a wife and he ended up meeting the might Sea King when Sadko played his gusli over the River Volkhov and the Sea King wanted Sadko to come to his underwater palace to play for him and his court.  When Sadko arrived in the underwater palace, the Sea King offers Sadko a chance to marry one of his daughters and to stay in his kingdom forever.  Now, Sadko must decide if he wants to stay in the underwater kingdom or return to his home in Novgorod!




I actually enjoyed this story! It was great to finally be able to read another Russian folktale and I loved the fact that this story actually explores the importance of being in a true home and also the power that music can hold on people!  I will admit I was a bit saddened by the ending of this book, but on the other hand, it was one of the few times I've read a folktale that had a bittersweet ending.
 



1. If you were given the choice to move to a new location or stay at your original home, what would you choose?

For me, it all depends on what I want for myself.  If I want to live on my own, then I would be glad to move to another location, if it means that I could live by myself.  However, if I want to live with my parents, then I would stay at my original home.  Of course, there would be days where I have to live on my own to learn how to take care of myself and moving from my original home would be the best option in this case.  



 







Goldilocks and the Three Bears


No comments:

Post a Comment